Can you see Banff in the winter? Whether you are here for a family adventure or a relaxing getaway, there is no better way to experience Banff’s pristine mountain landscape than to get out there in the snow. Lace up your boots, wax up your skis, strap on a pair of snowshoes or hop on a fat bike and enjoy one of many winter trails.
What is there to do in Banff in January?
- Sunshine Village Ski Resort. Downhill skiing in Banff National Park.
- Lake Minnewanka. Wild Ice Skating in Banff.
- Canmore Nordic Centre. Cross-Country Skiing in Canmore.
- Banff Hoodoos Trail.
- Troll Falls Trail.
- Highline Trail.
- Hector Trail.
- Johnson Lake Snowshoe Trail.
Is Lake Minnewanka open in winter? Getting to Lake Minnewanka
Note that the driving loop is only partially open in winter, the western section is closed from mid-November to mid-April as it is used as a special travel corridor for wildlife. To reach the area in winter, access it via the eastern section of the loop.
What can you do in Banff in December?
- Take a snowy sleigh ride.
- Skate on a frozen lake.
- Experience the thrill of dogsledding.
- Slide down Alberta’s largest tube park.
- Get into the Christmas spirit.
- Stomp through fresh snow.